Laboratoria CI is an artistic organization which seeks to cultural production and research for understanding the contemporary socio-cultural processes.
We consider art as a critical discipline linking research and artistic gesture, theory and practice, in which the transition from an object to an event, a process, study, immersion is important. Our activity is aimed at broadcasting of art practices with a critical view of the society in which it is produced and of the art itself.
- Research exhibitions and exhibitions of contemporary art, film screenings, presentations and other discussion events.
- Artistic and social research, documentary projects.
- Periodical samizdat magazines and small publications.
- Diana Ukhina, director
- Almaz Isakov, curator
- Joshik Murzakhmetov, curator
- Karina Tolmacheva, coordinator
- Maya Abdyldaeva, SMM-manager
Bokonbaev Str. 191, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
June, 2018 – Contemporary art exhibition “Red pill” in Kyrgyz National Museum of Fine Arts named after G. Aitiev
Within the framework of the exhibition “Red pill”, we initiated a conversation about memory and identity. This topic may be relevant in different historical periods and in different contexts, however, we were interested in it as a certain perspective on the social “matrix” that influences the formation of our identity and is based on memory. Within the framework of this exhibition, we suggested to artists to perform a certain deconstruction of ourselves, to find different practices of interpretation of identity and memory, to understand how the overlap of many factors shapes our understanding of others and ourselves.
The works were presented at the exhibition in different mediums – installations, video, photos, graphics, documentation by artists from Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Russia.
Within the framework of the program of the exhibition “Red pill” there also were events:
- Collective practice with artists Ekaterina Yushkevich (Russia). Focus of collective practice was memory, personal stories, exploring the city, performative activities in an urban environment. Participants made their small investigation on the topic memory and history.
- Issue of the artistic research magazine “Monuments of Bishkek”. Within the framework of the presentation of the issue the soviet film “Bow down to the fire” (1971, created by Tolomush Okeyev) was shown.
- Magazine Monuments of Bishkek includes articles: Kurmanjan Datka monument, to the Revolution Fighters monumets, the architectural and monumental complex Manas, Aykol Manas monument, the monument El Kutu (National wealth).
- Research exposition “Monuments of Bishkek”. There was a presentation of working materials used in the preparation of the magazine Monuments of Bishkek: archive photos, articles from newspapers, and video footage from the movie The Sculptor (1985).
May, 2018 – Film screening “Fang”. Film screening was accompanied by author commentaries from the curator of Laboratorris CI – Joshik Murzakhmetov.
February, 2018 – Film screening “AND THE CINEMA-2017” (И ТО КИНО-2017)
“AND THE CINEMA” is an annual final film screening of kyrgyz short films initiated by Laboratoria CI in 2018. This film screening is an opportunity to get acquainted with the author’s films with articulated position presented at the Bishkek film festivals over the past year (in 2018 we showed films of 2017). Film screening is conducted with the participation of film authors and a commentary from the Laboratoria CI.
“AND THE CINEMA-2017”: 1) “Chingilik-2” by Mirbek Kadraliev was presented at the film festival “Olgon-Horkhon 2017”; 2) “Hermit” by Aizada Aliyeva was presented in the film festival “Kyrgyzstan is the country of short films”; 3) “Peregon” by Erlan Omurbekov was presented in the film forum “Hope” (Үмүт – Надежда)
November, 2017 (Bishkek) – exhibition of contemporary art “In search for the city” as a result of the eponymous educational artistic research Program.
Catalog of the exhibition of contemporary art “In search for the city”
August – November, 2017 (Bishkek) – educational artistic research Program “In search for the city”
May, 2017 (Almaty, Kazakhstan) – Laboratory of urban research
April, 2017 (Osh, Kyrgyzstan) – Laboratory of urban research
The programs in Almaty and Osh cities were attended by active citizens, students and specialists from different spheres. The Laboratory included an educational part within which participants learned artistic approaches to investigate urban environment and practical realisation of research. The results of the programs were published in the magazine “City: made by …” in Russian, Kyrgyz, English. The magazine can be downloaded here.
March, 2016 – Exhibition and Discussion Program “For tomorrow: sketches of your (and) my history” (in collaboration with local feminist and gender initiatives).
July – December, 2015 (Bishkek) – Educational program “Photodrift as practice of urban research”
The main goal of the project was fostering of platform for critical awareness of urban spaces by young people through artistic research and theoretical approach. We spoke about city as a representation of political, cultural and economic processes in society and reflection of social inequality and discuss the city as a representation of the political, economical and social order and it’s transformation with the system’s transformation.
February – May, 2015 (Bishkek) – Research exhibition “Art and emancipation: O. Manuilova and her contemporaries”
Exhibition raised questions on women’s position in today’s society through works of soviet female artists and archive documents (historical artifacts, archive photography, copies of newspapers and official documents from the Soviet period) on emancipation in Central Asia in 1920-30s. Addressing the period of women’s emancipation in the Soviet Kyrgyzia, the exhibition explored the perception of women as actors and creators in their professional and public work; represent women as actors and agents of social, political activity.
The project is financed by the Government of Switzerland through the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).